Monday, August 20, 2007

What Happened to Good Music?!

So I called my little brother to check up on him, when I heard the most terrible thing ever. There was music playing in the background and I was pretty interested in knowing what he was listening to, well, since I had never heard it before. My bro D (i'll just call him that) puts the reciever close to the speakers and to my horror, I hear the chorus "I'm in love with a stripper"! What in the world....?! What sort of music are these record companies putting on the airwaves today? I was really shocked that my dearest baby bro was exposed to such nonsense (I wouldn't exactly call it music now). Where have all the good songwriters gone?! Some of my fondest childhood memories involve listening to great songs by some of the very best artists ever. My dad would play his cassette tapes (remember those?) every day while getting ready for work, most especially on Saturday mornings. Oh, how I looked forward to listening to songs by artists such as Sade, Tears for Fears, Spandau Ballet. Ah...Spandau Ballet! I still remember the first time I heard "True". There I was putting up a fuss because I wasn't allowed to go over to my friend's house when I heard the song. I ran over to the living room, and there it was. The music video was being shown on the t.v. Let's just say the house was quiet after that! Lol. This lady was too little to understand all the words that were spoken in that song at the time, but she did know it was a good love song. Probably one of the best ever written. Artists such as Common, The Fray, John Legend and John Mayer are giving me some hope. Sigh....those were the days!

2 comments:

SET said...

I TELL YOU, I TEND TO PLAY OLD MUSIC TO REMIND ME THAT IT USE TO BE AND CAN BE BETTER THAN A LOT OF THE MESS ON RADIO. TRENDY MUSIC I SAY.

Anonymous said...

lol... i'm not going to write anything much about this cos i'm almost ashamed to say that i actualy danced to that song a couple of times and it grew on me.. lol.. tpain does that to me.. but i agree about the quality of music these days... i LOVE sade.. never heard of the spandeau person/people? i think you have the youtube link below so i'll just check it out... hope you've had a great week mami